We're trading freedom for convience and entertainment.
- + - We're quickly moving toward a culture that believes "if it's making money, it's ethical." The rights of big business are surpassing those granted to human beings.
- + - "...capitalism, having defeated communism, now seems about to do the same to democracy." - Ian Frazier, "On the Rez."
- Copyright - Copyright was created to promote the arts, not to give corporations effortless profit for a lifetime, not to give corporations a choke chain on people's access to their culture.
- Privacy - Privacy and anonymity are necessary for free speech and other human rights.
- Patents - Incompetent leadership in the US Patent office and abuse by corporation have turned our patent system into a tool for large companies to abuse individuals and small companies with.
- Licensing - You don't own your software. You license it. You have less rights that you do to a book, video, or car you purchase.
- Lawyers - Maybe the majority of lawyers are ethical individuals trying to serve mankind. But the lawyers who view the justicial system as a way to acquire money and power ruin it.
- What License - Are lawyers licensed by the state? (I'm suspicious of this one, it needs more investigating.)
- Fixing it.
- Don't trust the government
- Canadian in passport fiasco - US customs destroyed a Canadian's passport and deported her to India.
- Concern grows for deported Canadian - US customs deports another Canadian, this time to Syria.
- Man arrested for 'peace' T-shirt
- Is This the America I Love?
- Radioactive patients set off subway alarms - The war on terror catches innocent chemotherapy patients, but no terrorists.
- Jeb Bush's secret weapon - How Jeb Bush maintains power in Florida: illegal voter purges of primarily black voters. Is your name similar to a convicted felon in a different state? You lose your right to vote with no chance to appeal.
- A post-9/11 American nightmare - If the US government incorrectly identifies you as a terrorist, you can have your business destroyed and be denied access to your own money to buy groceries. All without being formally charged with anything. Nine months later when they realize you're innocent, well, oops, I guess you can try to pick up the wreck we made of your life, but we're not going to help.
- Forgotten History - A bit uneven, but contains many good points on how the US has treated the rest of the world like crap.
- FEAR - Forfeiture Endangers American Rights
- Economist: The drug war
- Person Paper on Purity in Language - An insightful paper on the problems with gender specific language.
- Patriotism and Cosmopolitanism, Martha Nussbaum - The dangers of unchecked patriotism and a plea for reason.
- George W. Bush: Deserter - George W. Bush went AWOL from the National Guard for a year. For most people, that makes them guilty of desertion. For the priveledged son of his wealthy father, it makes him eligible to be President of the United States. This man sickens me.
- Why Microsoft's Stock Options Scare Me - Why does Microsoft pay no Federal income taxes?
Up | Last Updated Fri Mar 14 20:51:13 2003 | Information on Bookmarksync