Alan De Smet's Bookmarks - Win32 Installers
Software installation development tools for Microsoft Windows.
- + - In 1998 I investigated every installation tool I could find for Windows. This collection of link represents my results.
- + - Alan's Pick: Wise Solution's InstallBuilder
- + - It's been some time and I haven't reinvestigated my results. However, I have continued to work with both InstallShield and Wise's InstallBuilder. InstallShield remains extremely hard to use, cumbersome, and overpriced. InstallBuilder remains high quality, surprisingly full of features, and reasonably priced. As of spring 2001, InstallBuilder is my suggestion.
- ZDNet Reviews - Ziff-Davis's take on five of these products?
- Wise - Wise has multiple products
- InstallBuilder - ***** - Excellent - Hypercosm actively used InstallBuilder 8.0 for a number of projects. I'm very pleased with the results. InstallBuilder is reasonably priced for an amazing number of features. If you're still using InstallShield, throw it away and get InstallBuilder!
- Wise for Windows Installer - Wise's newest creation to support Microsoft's Windows Installer.
- Exemplar Setup Toolkit - **** - Good - Uses C++ to setup, hard to use, large generated binaries, but very powerful.
- Installer VISE - *** - Average -
- Sax Setup Wizard - *** - Average
- INF-Tool - *** - Average - Generates very small installers, very simple
- InstallShield - ** - Poor - Very clumsy and hard to use, moderately powerful. "Standard"
- PC-Install & NET-Install - * - Poor - Moderately powerful, but clumsy.
- HS-Install - * - Poor - Clumsy and simplistic.
- SVInstall - * - Poor - Extremely simplistic, clumsy
- Installer/GD - * - Poor - Clumsy, not up to standards
- PowerSetup 98 - * - Poor - Simplistic and clumsy
- Setup Specialist - * - Poor - Very simplistic
- Setup Factory - * - Poor
- O'Setup - * - Poor - Extremely simplistic and clumsy
- Installation Packager - X - Not an installer - Just generates self extracting and executing files.
- wInstall - X - Unknown - Couldn't get demo, behaves strangely.
- Installigence - X - Unknown - Couldn't connect to
- War Setup - X - Unknown - Couldn't locate demo
- Freeman Installer - X - Poor - Couldn't get demo to run
- Nullsoft Install System - ? - Unknown - Relative newcomer. I haven't tried yet.
Up | Last Updated Fri Mar 14 20:51:13 2003 | Information on Bookmarksync